European Week of Regions and Cities (EWRC) 2018
European Week of Regions and Cities (EWRC) also known as the “Open Days” is an annual four-day event held in Brussels during which cities and regions showcase their best practices in relation to their capacity to implement the European Union cohesion policy on various levels.
Each year the Committee of Regions as main institutional organizer selects different themes for the events that are attended by approximately 6,000 participants.
Schuman Associates attended the kick-off event for the 2018 EWRC. This year marks the 30th anniversary of European Cohesion Policy and events are expected to focus on Territorial development (regional, urban, rural), Future of Cohesion Policy and the EU budget as well as Education, culture & youth. These three areas also include the following thematic clusters:
- Energy, climate, environment
- Social inclusion, citizenship, migration
- Economic development, employment
- Governance and administrative capacity
- Research and innovation
- Sustainable transport and mobility
- International cooperation, EU as global actor
- ICT and digital
- Agriculture and food production
- Maritime affairs
- Security and civil protection