The European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) is an independent EU body contributing to the objectives set out in Horizon 2020, in particular by addressing societal challenges in a manner that is complementary to other initiatives in these areas. EIT brings together the "knowledge triangle" of business (including SMEs), education and research to form dynamic cross-border partnerships, the so-called Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KICs). These KICs strengthen cooperation among European innovators and entrepreneurs, and they create favourable environments for creative ideas and new solutions to emerge. Since 2010 six KICs have been launched: EIT Climate-KIC; EIT Digital; EIT InnoEnergy; EIT Health; EIT Raw Materials and EIT Food.
In 2018 EIT is launching two new KICs:
- 1) EIT Manufacturing strengthening and increasing the competitiveness of Europeกฏs manufacturing industry
- High value or added-value manufacturing
- Product and service innovation
- Process excellence
- High brand recognition
- Environmentally friendly solutions
- 2) EIT Urban Mobility smart, green and integrated urban transport
- Greener, more inclusive, safer, smarter
- New mobility concepts
- Transport system safety and security
- Air pollution and noise reduction
- Urban, spatial planning
- Job creation and sustainable growth
In order to establish the next two EIT Innovation Communities, a new call for proposal was launched in the beginning of 2018. Submission of project proposals is open until 12 July 2018. Proposals can be submitted by a core group of up to 50 educational, research and business partners - at least three independent partner organisations established in at least three different Member States. The winners - one group for each field receives the mandate and significant resources to start and manage one of the newly established KICs.